Dressing tables come in various shapes, sizes, and colours and may seem quite basic or bland.
If you want to switch up your dressing table or you're looking at purchasing one that passes the classy vibe check, then stick with me till the end of this post as I show you in detail secrets to achieving a timeless and chic dressing area that reflects your sense of glamour.
9 Ways To Make Your Dressing Table Look Classy
1: Keep It Simple
Minimalism is key for every classy look. You want to make sure that the top of your dressing table remains clutter-free at all times and only has essential items on it.
To achieve this, you'll need to the the following:
- First things first, assess each item on your dressing table and ask yourself if it's truly essential for your daily routine. Discard expired or rarely used products. If it doesn't serve a practical purpose or bring you joy, consider removing it.
- Keep only items that you use daily within arm's reach. For example, your skincare products can stay on the tabletop while items like expensive jewellery which are used less frequently can find a home in drawers or storage containers to reduce visual clutter.
- Group similar items together, such as makeup, skincare, and accessories. Then assign specific areas for each category to maintain order. For example, skincare can stay on the tabletop, makeup products can go into the first top drawer and jewellery and hair care products can go into the second and third drawers respectively.
- Use trays, dividers, or organizers to keep items neatly separated. This prevents small items from scattering across the table and makes it easier to locate what you need.
- Choose a dressing table with built-in storage solutions to hide away items when not in use. It will be easier to maintain a clean and clutter-free tabletop with a dressing table that has drawers or cabinets compared to a floating dressing table with just the table top and nothing underneath.
- Schedule regular decluttering sessions to reassess the items on your dressing table. This ensures that unnecessary items don't accumulate over time.
2: Use Quality Materials
You can't want a classy look without considering durability and for that classy dressing table, using quality materials is your best option.
Some examples of materials that showcase durability and style are:
- Solid wood such as mahogany, oak, or walnut.
- Metal alloys like stainless steel or brass.
- Marble especially for tabletops or decorative elements.
- Tempered glass
- Bamboo for that touch of natural elegance.
- Engineered materials like MDF (Medium Density Fiberboard) or HDF (High-Density Fiberboard) can offer both durability and style when finished with high-quality veneers or laminates.
- Other stones like granite or slate can be used for tabletops or accent pieces. They bring a rugged yet sophisticated appeal to furniture.
- Powder-coated finishes for metal furniture to protect against scratches and corrosion. It also comes in a variety of colours for added style.
3: Get A Matching Set
Nothing screams luxury and class more than a matching set of dressing tables, mirrors and chairs. Bonus points if the colour scheme and material match the rest of your room's decor.
You can also opt for a coordinated set of accessories and organisers for a more cohesive look. It can include items like matching brush holders, trays, or containers.
Here are some ways to incorporate matching sets into your dressing table:
- Choose a specific colour palette or theme for your dressing table accessories. Preferably neutrals, pastels, or metallics for a timeless appeal.
- Go for accessories that share similar materials or finishes. This could include metal accents, wood elements, or mirrored surfaces. For example, if your dressing table has gold-stained metallic legs, you can opt for a mirror with a metallic gold frame and a gold-painted sculpture by the side.
- Stick to a consistent design style, whether it's modern, vintage, bohemian, or minimalist. The theme or style of your room should match your dressing table and all other accessories.
- Arrange items symmetrically or in a balanced manner. For example, if you have two candle holders on one side, place a similar item on the other side for balance. This creates visual order and cohesion.
- Try incorporating variations in heights and sizes to add visual interest and prevent a monotonous look. For example, mix taller candle holders with smaller decorative items.
- Limit the number of colours being used. Even though you're working with a colour theme, try to stick to two or three shades within the palette. This provides a cohesive look without overwhelming the space with too many hues. For example, if you're into neutrals, try sticking to brown, beige and navy blue.
4: Explore Lighting Options
You can never go wrong with extra light on your dresser mirror and around the dressing table itself. The key here is to use soft, ambient lighting to create a luxurious atmosphere.
Here's how you can achieve that:
- Get soft, warm-coloured bulbs to help create that cosy and refined ambience. Avoid harsh or cool-toned lights, as they can disrupt the soothing atmosphere.
- When getting a lighted mirror for your dressing table, choose one with adjustable settings to control the intensity of the light. This allows you to tailor the illumination to different needs, such as bright lighting for detailed tasks and softer lighting for a relaxed atmosphere.
- Incorporate multiple sources of light for a layered effect. For example, you can combine overhead lighting with table lamps or wall sconces to achieve a balanced and refined lighting scheme.
- Use candlelight for a subtle and refined glow. Place decorative candles in stylish holders to add a touch of romance and sophistication.
- Aside from getting lighted mirrors, you can also place colourful LED strips behind mirrors or under shelves to create a soft, indirect glow.
- Ensure an even distribution of light across the dressing table and avoid shadows on the face by placing lights on both sides of the mirror rather than just above, creating a well-lit and refined environment.
- Utilise natural lighting by positioning your dressing table beside a window.
5: Stick To Neutral Colours
Remember what we said about sticking to a colour scheme? Well, for a timeless and classy look, you should stick to a neutral colour palette. This applies to both the furniture and the items you display.
Examples of neutral colour schemes and combinations you can try include:
- Monochromatic Elegance: Try different shades of a single colour. For example, varying tones of grey, beige, or blue.
- Neutral Neutrals: Colours like beige, ivory, and soft whites.
- Classic Black and White: A timeless black paired with crisp white will never go out of style.
- Warm earthy tones like taupe, terracotta, and olive green.
- Deep navy blue with accents of gold.
- Soft pastel shades like blush pink, mint green, or soft lavender.
- Muted jewel tones such as muted emerald green, sapphire blue, and deep burgundy.
- Timeless grayscale including various shades of grey, from light to charcoal.
- Creamy ivory paired with accents of gold.
- Taupe and cream. Taupe is the dominant colour and cream accents.
6: Invest In A High-Quality Stool Or Chair
Your dressing table and dressing area ain't complete without a cute comfy chair or stool. Ensure you invest in a stool with a plush, upholstered finish for added elegance.
Here are some materials to look out for when choosing your stool or chair for your dressing table:
- Velvet Upholstery: Luxurious velvet in jewel tones or neutral shades.
- Faux Fur Accents: Integrate soft faux fur cushions or seats.
- Leather Seating: Go for genuine leather or high-quality faux leather, depending on your budget.
- Plush Cushions: Choose a seating option with generously padded cushions, ensuring both support and luxury.
- Upholstered Backrest: Select a chair or stool with a soft and padded backrest for extra comfort.
- Suede Finishes: Similar to velvet cushions, stools or chairs with suede finishes offer a plush and refined seating option.
- Padded Armrests: Choose seating options with padded armrests, not only for comfort but for that sense of luxury.
- Metallic Accents: Incorporate metallic elements such as chairs or stools with metallic legs or accents to add a modern and sophisticated touch to the overall design.
7: Create An Organised Storage
Utilise chic storage solutions to keep makeup and accessories organised. Here are some storage solutions you can try:
- Transparent Containers: Use clear or transparent containers to make it easy to see the contents and maintain a tidy appearance.
- Drawer dividers to help segment different categories of items making sure that everything has its designated place.
- Labelled Storage: Label containers or drawers to help you quickly identify where specific items are stored.
- Multi-Functional Furniture: Choose dressing tables or vanities with built-in storage solutions. This can include drawers, shelves, or compartments to keep various items neatly tucked away.
- Decorative Boxes or Baskets: Use stylish boxes or baskets to conceal items that don't need to be on display. This adds a decorative touch while keeping the space organised.
- Tiered Trays: Use tiered trays to maximise tabletop space. They provide a visually appealing way to organise makeup and accessories, making everything easily accessible.
- Floating Shelves: Install floating shelves on the wall for additional storage without taking up floor space. You can even arrange decorative containers or baskets on these shelves to keep the area looking neat and nice.
- Concealed Storage: Choose furniture with concealed storage options, such as ottomans or stools with hidden compartments. This provides additional space to keep items out of sight.
- Jewellery Organisers: Use specialised jewellery organisers with compartments for rings, earrings, and necklaces. This helps prevent tangling and ensures each piece has its place.
Learn about the difference between a chest drawer and a dresing table.
8: Accessorize With Art Pieces And Decorative Mirrors
Want a touch of glamour? Then accessorise your dressing area with a piece of artwork or an ornate mirror. You can hang this just above the dressing table to create a focal point in your room.
Aside from large ornate wall mirrors and art pieces, here are some other ideas of things you can add to your space to create a standout view:
Art Deco Vanity Chair: Get a vanity chair with Art Deco-inspired design featuring luxurious materials, geometric patterns, and metallic accents.
Crystal Chandelier or Pendant Light: Install a crystal chandelier or a pendant light with sparkling crystals above the dressing table.
Gilded Picture Frames: Display family photos or artwork in gilded picture frames.
Vintage Perfume Bottles Display: Showcase a collection of vintage or ornate perfume bottles on a decorative tray. This creates a visually appealing and glamorous vignette.
Marble-Topped Vanity: Choose a dressing table with a marble top for a luxurious and sophisticated focal point.
Hollywood-Inspired Mirrored Furniture: Incorporate mirrored furniture with Hollywood Regency vibes. Mirrored vanities or dressers reflect light, adding glamour and a touch of old Hollywood charm.
Framed Vanity Mirror with LED Lighting: Choose a framed vanity mirror with built-in LED lighting. Check out the ones here from Hollywood Mirrors. The combination of a stylish frame and functional lighting creates a modern and glamorous focal point.
9: Add Fresh Flowers or Greenery
Add a vase with fresh flowers or a potted plant for a natural and fresh touch.
For a more classy look, here are some tips on how you can pair your flowers and other potted plants:
- Choose elegant vases made from materials like crystal, ceramic, or metallic finishes for a touch of luxury.
- Select flowers with classic and timeless appeal such as roses, orchids, lilies, and peonies.
- Consider white flowers, such as white roses or lilies. These convey purity and elegance and they pair well with various interior styles and colour schemes, creating a classy and timeless vibe.
- Create monochromatic arrangements by selecting flowers in shades that complement your dressing area's colour scheme.
- Incorporate fresh greenery or foliage to bring a natural element. Stuff like eucalyptus, ferns, or simple branches.
- Opt for single varieties:of flowers or foliage for a minimalist and classy look.
- Embrace seasonal flowers to add a touch of freshness and variety. This also allows you to change the floral arrangements throughout the year, keeping the space dynamic and interesting.
- For potted plants, pair with stylish planters like the ones with metallic finishes, geometric shapes, or ceramic pots with intricate designs to enhance the overall classy vibe.
- Balance height and proportions by paying attention to the height and proportions of your floral arrangements. For example, tall and elegant blooms should be balanced with lower, fuller arrangements for visual harmony.
Styling your dressing table to look classy has been made easy. Thanks to these detailed tips we just shared with you.
All you have to do is implement one or two tips from here and you have yourself a unique timeless, classy dressing area.
However, if you're still in doubt as to what type of dressing table you should get, then head over to this article on different types of dressing tables.